Thursday, January 27, 2011

War and Pacifism

Gandhi:
"The weak can never forgive.  Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."

Nice Badass Longcoat, Ten.
Doctor Who:
"No, I'm trying to stop the fighting.' 'Isn't every soldier?'"

"'Hang on, a second ago it was peace in our time and now you're talking about genocide!' 'For us, it means the same thing.' 'Then you need to get yourself a better dictionary.  When you do, look up genocide.  You'll see a little picture of me there and the caption'll read "over my dead body!" '"

"...that's nothing new. Every now and then a little victim spared, because she smiled, 'cos he's got freckles, 'cos they begged.  And that's how you live with yourself, that's how you slaughter millions.  Because once in a while, on a whim... you happen to be kind."

"'It's not like I'm an innocent. I've taken lives. And I got worse, I got clever. Manipulated people into taking their own.  Sometimes I think a Timelord lives too long. I can't. I just can't.' ...'Then don't you dare, sir, don't you dare put him before them. Now you take this, that's an order, Doctor. You take the gun, you take the gun and save your life. And please don't die, you're the most wonderful man on earth! I don't want you to die!'"

"'But it's them or us.' 'It doesn't mean you have to kill them!' 'I'm trying to save your life!' 'Listen to me, the killing, after a while it infects you.  And once it does you're never rid of it.' 'We don't have a choice.' 'We always have a choice.' 'I'm sorry'"

"They can shoot me dead, but the moral high ground is mine."

[jenny, the doctor's daughter, takes a bullet meant for him]
"'There is no regeneration.  She's like you, but...maybe not enough.' 'No.  Too much.  That's the truth of it.  She was too much like me.'"


The general who killed Jenny was the one she specifically did not kill previously because the doctor did not want any bloodshed- good bit of cruel irony.  The good people are the ones willing to put themselves in harms way for others I suppose, which is why they wouldn't live as long.  Doesn't mean they should stop, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment