Friday, January 28, 2011

The Song of the Ood

 
Cum tacent clament. Serva me, servato te
"While we are silent, we are screaming. Save me and I will save you."
Dum inter homines, sumus colamus humanita (cum tacent clament)
"When amongst humans, we should be humane."

Ood Song makes me emotional.  I never get emotional.  Ok, that's a lie, I am a very emotional person.  But I don't even tear up at the end of "The Notebook".   I'm just reserved I suppose.  Ah, shut up.  Anyway, the point is I find ood song very moving.

The ood are a race that hold their telepathic exterior brains in their hands.  They are rather frightening looking off the bat.  In fact, when they are introduced they are possessed by what is presumed to be Satan.


But it isn't their fault!  In fact, the ood are nearly defenseless creatures, which is why they are so easily taken advantage of.  They endure a few centuries of slavery and lobotomization at human hands; this changes what it means to be an ood, and their special connective powers to one another are curtailed in order to force them to use human speech rather than telepathy.

Ood packed into one of many shipping crates, ready to be sold.
Frightened baby ood singing the song of captivity
while they still have their brains intact.

Patiently and carefully, enduring mockery and debasement, the Ood wait to gather resistance and efficiently free themselves from enslavement together.  Ultimately, they turn the man in charge of their enslavement into an ood and take care of him as one of their own.

They create an advanced civilization (a snow world! To say I love snow is an understatement...) and can mentally gather images of future events.  They are eerily knowing and wise.  They depend on their fragile mental connections with one another to create a beautiful, strong society filled with the sound of music.  The Latin at the beginning of this post is a bit of ood song.

Finally, they know that when ten regenerates/dies he is all alone and it is hard and frightening for him.  So they all sing for him.  Actually, how about I just create a post for ten's regeneration?

The Song of Captivity changes to the Song of Freedom around the 1:20 mark.  If you have seen the series, I know you will get misty-eyed.




No comments:

Post a Comment